Travel Advisory: LNAA statement regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)
March 9, 2020
Since late January, the Lehigh-Northampton Airport Authority (LNAA) has intensely monitored the Coronavirus outbreak around the world which has recently been classified as a pandemic, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
This situation remains fluid, and the LNAA has a communication network established with our important federal, state and local partners including: City of Allentown Bureau of Health, Pennsylvania Department of Health, Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency, Lehigh and Northampton County Emergency Management, Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Airports Council International, and other related organizations.
The Airport Authority has been vigilant and proactive in our approach to maintain a healthy environment for all travelers, stakeholders, and staff. Our primary goal is to prevent transmission through disinfection of facilities, raising awareness of public health measures, and reducing the human to human transmission.
Below are the procedures implemented at ABE for COVID-19 prevention:
1) Hand sanitizers have been strategically placed and additional units have been ordered for deployment throughout the terminal complex at Lehigh Valley International Airport (ABE).
2) LNAA custodial staff have increased their disinfection efforts in the following high traffic areas: door handles, escalator handrails, elevator controls, counter tops, paper towel / toilet paper dispensers, tables, chairs, vinyl seating, parking equipment, and ticket counter podiums.
3) LNAA has confirmed through discussion with airline personnel that public facing equipment (including self check-in kiosks) is disinfected throughout the day.
4) LNAA has received guidance from TSA that passengers should wash / sanitize their hands before and after the checkpoint. Additionally, wallets, phones, and keys should be kept in carry-on baggage and not placed in a bin.
5) Signage outlining CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) best practices are located in all restrooms and heavy public traffic areas.
6) LNAA distributed an internal email to all airport stakeholders outlining best practices for cleaning public areas from the WHO and CDC.
What can I do to protect myself from COVID-19?
- Be committed to practicing good personal hygiene
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water is not available, use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid shaking hands with everyone.
- Avoid direct contact and close contact (within 6 feet) of people who are sick.
What steps can I take to protect others from COVID-19?
- If you are sick or ill, please STAY HOME, avoid public areas and public transportation!
- If you sneeze or cough, please do so into your elbow.
***IMPORTANT – All immune systems are not alike. Individuals that are older (above 60), have immune deficiencies, or have chronic health conditions are at HIGH RISK. By staying home, you are helping high risk individuals stay safe during this critical time.
With more public events being cancelled, colleges and universities warning students about spring break travel, and general public concern, we anticipate air travel to significantly be affected throughout the next several months.
At this time, the Lehigh-Northampton Airport Authority and Lehigh Valley International Airport (ABE) will remain operational.
We’ll continue to closely monitor the situation and provide additional information when it becomes available.