Fly Safe with ABE!
June 11, 2020
New signage, requirements, and COVID-19 prevention measures for passengers
(Hanover Township, PA) – Your neighborhood airport has a message for the entire region: You can Fly Safe with ABE!
On Thursday, June 11th, Lehigh Valley International Airport (ABE) unveiled COVID-19 prevention measures implemented for passenger health and safety. This initiative also includes the exciting arrival of the Airport’s newest staff member: Abe, the pilot!
“From the start of the search for a new normal at ABE, our vision was helping to restore an enjoyable and convenient travel experience by producing the healthiest environment for family friends, and travel companions,” said Thomas R. Stoudt, Executive Director, Lehigh-Northampton Airport Authority (LNAA).
The customer experience at your neighborhood airport has always been built upon any airport’s greatest responsibility: Your Safety First!
This foundation is further strengthened following months of adapting ABE’s terminal complex with the necessary tools for passengers or customers to see a noticeable enhancement and change to their flight routine.
“Prevention efforts won’t slow down for ABE, as they’ll remain in the center of our radar when evaluating infrastructure and other projects for years to come,” said Stoudt.
This new travel routine includes:
- All passengers must wear a mask or face covering in the terminal complex
- Installing approximately (775) new signs and markings regarding best practices for COVID-19 prevention which include: social distancing throughout the terminal – especially in seating and queuing areas – mask requirements, hand washing, etc.),
- Additional hand sanitizing stations
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) at ticket counters and concession areas
- Increased disinfection / cleaning procedures by custodial staff
- Installation of NanoSeptic antimicrobial self-cleaning films to numerous surfaces
- Public service announcements
For more information about the Fly Safe with ABE initiative, please visit: https://www.flyabe.com/flysafewithabe/
Creating a familiar face for passengers to recognize the Fly Safe with ABE initiative was critical for communication. Let us welcome aboard Abe, the pilot!
Abe’s first major assignment is ensuring air travelers and customers have a safe flight through our terminal complex from check-in to boarding.
“His familiar face should serve as an important reminder during your journey through ABE to adhere to best practices recommended by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Pennsylvania Department of Health (PDOH), and World Health Organization (WHO) for preventing transmission of the coronavirus,” said Stoudt.
If you see Abe, the pilot – take a moment to read the information he has been instructed to share with passengers, customers, and airport guests. Learn more about Abe by visiting his profile page on our website: https://www.flyabe.com/abe-the-pilot/
Additionally, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is implementing screening procedures to limit physical contact and increase social distancing for the summer travel season:
- Keep possession of your boarding pass – scan your boarding pass yourself
- Separate food for X-ray screening – place carry-on food in a plastic bag and into a bin
- Practice social distancing – stand on the plane decals in the checkpoint queue at ABE
- Wear a face covering/mask – TSA officers are required to have facial protection and travelers are also required to wear a face covering/mask at ABE
For more information on Lehigh Valley International Airport (ABE), please visit www.flyabe.com or www.facebook/flyabe or @flyabe.