Don’t Miss Your Flight, Arrive Early!
November 14, 2021
Increased passenger traffic expected at ABE starting November 20th
(Hanover Township, PA) – If you are traveling this holiday season, Lehigh Valley International Airport (ABE) has a critical travel tip for passengers with early morning and afternoon departures scheduled: give yourself extra time, so you don’t miss your flight.
A summer travel resurgence helped ABE reach pre-pandemic passenger levels. From June – August, 267,508 passengers used your neighborhood airport – compared to the 274,431 travelers in the summer of 2019.
“Most industry experts didn’t predict this quick of a rebound, which certainly created challenges at the TSA Checkpoint as airlines returned their pre-pandemic seat capacity to the Lehigh Valley market,” said Thomas R. Stoudt, Executive Director, Lehigh-Northampton Airport Authority (LNAA).
The Airport recommends the following checklist:
- We encourage passengers to arrive at least 2 hours (industry standard) before their flight to ensure they process through their airline ticket counter and Transportation Security Administration (TSA) checkpoint in enough time to reach their gate for boarding and not miss their flight.
- The TSA checkpoint at ABE is open at 4:00 a.m. daily (subject to change).
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires face masks for all individuals while at transportation hubs – including ABE – through at least January 18, 2022.
- Visit flyabe.com to learn more about flight information and terminal resources
- For questions regarding permitted items for your carry-on or checked bags, visit the Transportation Security Administration website or use @AskTSA for Facebook or Twitter.
“Passengers should not cut it close or they could definitely miss their flight. We want to avoid any back log at the TSA passenger screening checkpoint,” said Stoudt.
ABE provides the highest level of comfort and convenience and we’ve enhanced the customer experience even further over the last several years with the addition of new amenities.
Located in the departure area:
ABE Book Exchange
Canteen Smart Market
Lehigh Valley Health Network Children’s Play Area
Lehigh Valley News Store
Music in the Airport
Makala A. Ashmar Military Resource Center
RCN Business Center
In May 2021, the Airport Authority started construction on a $29 million Terminal Connector project that will include a larger TSA passenger security checkpoint.
This capital investment will help ensure ABE maintains the ease and convenience passengers have come to expect, while furthering the Airport Authority’s vision of being the best regional airport system in North America. The project has two primary focus areas:
- TSA Checkpoint– Increasing the number of passenger screening lanes from 2 to 3 (and ultimately 4).
- Vertical Circulation– Reducing the number of vertical transitions between floors while creating more intuitive wayfinding to simplify passenger flow.
Project completion is expected in early 2023.