Become a C.O.P.E. Handler
Have interest in joining the program at LVIA? Here’s what will be required of you and your therapy dog:
- Must be a member of Alliance of Therapy Dogs. Proof of membership is required.
- Therapy Dog must be certified with the Canine Good Citizen Training. Proof of certificate is required.
- Dogs must have 1 year working experience at a recognized therapy dog organization and must be at least 2 years of age.
Complete “C.O.P.E. Therapy Dog Program” Application.
Once your application is received, you will be notified to complete the badging application process and will be fingerprinted for a background check.
Once your fingerprints are cleared, you will then be required to take a computer test for badging purposes (SIDA). A training session will be scheduled.
At the training session and orientation, you will be provided with an Airport ID badge, a C.O.P.E. Polo Shirt, name badge and your dog will get a C.O.P.E bandanna as part of the uniform. You will be given a training manual and will go on a tour of the Airport facility to see how your therapy dog interacts with our passengers.
C.O.P.E. Handler Job Description
The Handler (along with their Therapy Dog):
- Agrees to volunteer a minimum of 45 minutes at least once a month and will keep an accurate record of hours of work and participate in training programs and meetings, relevant to the C.O.P.E. Therapy Dog Program.
- Will meet and greet passengers at the gates so the public may easily approach you and your dog by de-stressing and calming the passengers as well as providing airport information and wayfinding.
- Agrees to be reliable and prompt. When unable to fulfill duties, handler will notify the coordinator as early as possible.
- Must be sincere in the offer of service and take commitment seriously.
- Will be friendly and courteous, and display a professional attitude and appearance.
- Will strictly adhere to security regulations and abide by policies of the Authority.
- Will address any comments/suggestions/complaints from passengers by notifying the coordinator.
Ready to Join?
Please fill out the form below.